Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why The Nintendo 3DS Might Fail


It's always tough to predict how well a Nintendo product will do in the market.  I predicted that the originl DS and the Nintendo Wii would be failures and I was obviously wrong about those.  While I think the 3DS might have some initital success (during the first few weeks), something tells me that it will be an overall failure.  Since the 1990s, I've purchased nearly every video game system at launch, but this is one launch I'll be skipping.  In a tough economy, I will be waiting on Sony's NGP and will make the choice between the two then.  Here are the five primary reasons I believe the 3DS might fail:

  1. The original DS was released back in 2004, yet Nintendo continually releases new and better models coaxing many gamers to upgrade after short periods of time.  In less than 7 years, we've seen the DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and now the 3DS.  That's 5 systems in less than 7 years.  While I'm sure many gamers will pick up the 3DS at launch, I can assume that many gamers like myself will not because they are tired of frequently upgrading.  
  2. The PSP 2 aka "Next Generation Portable" has the making of an amazing handheld option.  While the PSP didn't come close to the DS, I think the NGP has a real chance, especially if Sony goes with an affordable pricetag.  
  3. So far, I am not impressed with the 3DS launch line-up.  I'm sure the games will get better with time, but it's definitely not looking promising from the start.  It looks like the best game at launch will be Ocarina (which is an awesome game), but I doubt too many people will be excited about playing a dated game that many people already have.  
  4. The 3DS has a battery life of 3-5 hours and I'm assuming that's "best case scenario".  The limited battery time is definitely something I'm not very impressed with.  
  5. The games might be priced a little high.  It looks like you will be abe to pick up most 3DS titles for around $40, but that's a little steep in this economy.  Many people are already invested in multiple systems and I'm not sure if they are going to bite on the 3DS with these higher prices.  

1 comment:

  1. ' I predicted that the originl DS and the Nintendo Wii would be failures and I was obviously wrong about those '

    Do you really think ANYONE would EVER listen to ANYTHING you have to say, EVER again?

    Pointless article made by a pointless human.

    ReplyDelete